Monday, May 7, 2012

Preston's Big Birthday Weekend

On top of  Pike's Peak
Preston and I at the Royal Gorge!
         Preston and I have both been working a lot of hours. Preston has a full time job as well as two part time jobs. Preston runs the jail as well as does court security on Thursdays after work, then he also works in Sanford whenever the police chief needs him (which seems like all the time haha). So I told him for his birthday we both needed to get away and do something fun. We had already been to the Cheyenne Mtn. zoo (btw its like the best zoo I've ever been to). Well we get a call from his dad, his dad said he would like us to come to Pueblo and we all would spend the weekend together. Preston and I both were a little bit iffy about all of this, but we decided to go because we were planning on getting out of town anyways. So, I had requested Friday the 16th off (the day we were going to head to Pueblo). I had turned my phone off the night before because my phone makes weird noises sometimes. Anywho, I turned my phone on that morning and not even two minutes after doing so I get a call from work. They asked if I could come in, so the nice person that I am I went in. So I worked (so did Preston) we both got off around 4 came home showered, packed and we were on our way. We got to Pueblo around 7 that night. His dad and Rose had cooked us dinner. We all just sat and visited and watched a movie.
Our View on the way down to the bottom
The Sky Tram
Royal Gorge
Us at the Royal Gorge
John F. Kennedy!         

         Saturday morning Preston and I got up and got ready to go... all his dad would tell us is that we had an awesome weekend planned. I think Preston and I both had our doubts but we kept positive. Saturday the 17th we drove to Canon City and drove Skyline drive. That was pretty cool, its a small very narrow road that is on a ledge as you drive you can see all of Canon City below you. After that, Keith (Preston's dad) had informed us that we were going to the Royal Gorge Bridge! Preston and I had been talking about going there. If you don't know Preston, Preston LOVES historical, informational things so this was a huge moment for him! We arrived at the Royal Gorge. I on the other hand, was a littlIe apprehensive about this. I have this fear of heights due to my brother (thanks a lot Jere!). But I thought I was going to be ok because the wind wasn't blowing and we were taking a little train down to the bottom to see the river. That was really fun.... a little scary at first, but fun. We got to the bottom took a few pictures, watched a few kayakers then took the train back up. It was time to face my fear... THE 1,000ft bridge! I thought "Ok you can do this the wind isn't blowing and there aren't that many people" We start on the bridge I was practically walking in the middle of the bridge and Preston kept trying to pull me over to the side "because he couldn't see" I don't know what he wanted to see all that was down there were rocks and water what's the big deal?! But he slowly got me to overcome my fear he was very patient with me! That's why I love him! About half way over the bridge here came the Colorado wind! UGH really the bridge started to sway and all I wanted to do was book it off of that thing! Unfortunately, Preston had a tight grip on my hand... he must have read my mind haha. Finally we made it off the bridge! We went up this little trail where there was a little ghost town as well as a few animals.  I thought the bridge was going to be the worst part of that experience... oh boy was I wrong! Keith told us that we would be taking the tram back across the gorge... ummm a big cart on a little thin string.... I DON'T THINK SO! But I did not voice my concern. We got on and went across I do have to admit it wasn't that bad... I was in the middle and I'm short so I couldn't really see but husband being so thoughtful kept inching me towards the front.
             There is still more! After the Royal Gorge we hopped back into the car and drove to Manitou Springs.... I LOVE THIS PLACE! It reminds me of when I was little my parents would take us there and we would play at the penny arcade (which is no longer there :( ) It is a super neat town though very old victorian houses and very clean! We checked into our hotel there, then we went to dinner at the stagecoach inn. It was busy since it was St. Patty's day and all. We had reservations there but they kind of just shoved us into a little corner where the waiting area was. But still, the food was good! Preston and I being the old couple we are decided to call it a night after that.
My cold little feet and Preston's nice toasty warm feet!
Our ride in and out of the mine there were 6 of us shoved in there!
            On Preston's birthday we were going to drive to the top of Pike's Peak, but when we got to the booth they said the road wasn't open all the way to the top. Keith turned around and drove us to the cog! We took the cog to the top of Pike's Peak... I would highly recommend this! We got to see a lot of wildlife and the lack of snow! I had packed for summer pretty much, but you know how Colorado weather is (if you don't it can change so fast) So, the weatherman said it was going to be 60 degrees so I wore flip flops! Boy was I stupid! We got to the top and it was -9 up there plus the wind was nuts! It was so pretty up there though! You can see five states from the top! We spent a little time at the gift shop then headed back down! After we got back down we drove to a famous gold mine. It's called the Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine. All of us took a tour... 1,000ft underground! This mine still has gold in it but they no longer mine it. We had to all be shoved into this little cage to get underground. The tour was pretty awesome, it's amazing to think how smart people were back then and how they figured out how to mine. After the tour was over we were all shoved back into the little cage and went back up to the surface. When we got back to the top there was still daylight to burn! Keith decided he wanted to take us to Cripple Creek. For you who don't know Cripple Creek is an old mining community now that is a big gambling spot in Colorado. Keith took us to dinner, after dinner he gave us $10 to play the slot machines. Husband and I played the nickel slots... I won an extra $9, not too bad for my first time gambling! I cashed out just in time, the snow started to fall like crazy so we decided to head back to Pueblo.
Inside the mine
            When we got back to Pueblo Preston and I had planned to go back home, but after all that driving we decided to stay the night. I called my sister Amanda and she got us a hotel room. Monday, Preston and I decided to just window shop. Well I'm a girl I can't just window shop! I bought Preston some new cowboy boots! I had tried some on and he has been trying so hard to get me to wear them! So, we left and went and looked a few other places. Then we came back and guess what.... Preston bought me some extra cute cowgirl boots! I was actually really excited. Husband and I just had one more stop... COLD STONE! Preston LOVES ice cream no matter the time of the year. After that important stop, we headed home to get ready for the rest of the week! All in all I think Preston and I BOTH enjoyed this awesome weekend!

3 comments:

  1. looks like a lot of fun! Glad you guys had such a nice vacation weekend together. Its important to take those time outs every once in a while. For sanity's sake ya know?
    Oh and I so want to hear about what all Jeremiah did to make you so scared of heights??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it def. benefited us! Jere would always hang me upside down by my feet and then on the taos bridge he picked me up and tried holding me over the rails! I can do all these scary rides but idk why I can't do bridges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you guys all traveling all over the world. Sounds like you had a really great time. So nice of presto's dad to do that for you guys. Boots from hubby....so thoughtful. awwwww!! I really want to go up to pikes peak sometime. Maybe when the kids are older. Love ya

    ReplyDelete